Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oldie But Goodie

A couple of former students asked me yesterday when the next blog post was going to be forthcoming. Apparently tax / school in general is too much for them right now and they’re in desperate need of distractions (the key word being “desperate”). So ... Kory and Kelli, this is for you. How fitting, given the magic that occurred in the top left of the room between you two (and let’s not forget Thomas either ...) last semester.

Anyway, this isn’t a new story. It’s an old one that I was reminded of when I had Hollis with me at Sam’s today. Why? I dunno. Maybe because I hardly ever go to Sam’s and I go even less often with Hollis (or anyone). Whatever the case, a couple of years ago I did, in fact, have Hollis with me at Sam’s. We had finished our shopping and he needed to go to the bathroom, so we stopped in after checking out.

While he was doing his business at the urinal, I noticed that he was rather pre-occupied with a couple of not-ordinarily-easily-accessible parts of his anatomy. Shortly thereafter, the following conversation ensued. I think he was four years old at the time.

Me: Hey bud ... you having a good time there?
Hollis: (looooooooong pause) .... Wow. What ARE these things?
Me: Hmmmmm ... well, Hollis, those are nuts (going with the layman’s definition instead of the biologically sound one).
Hollis: What did you say?
Me: Nuts.
Hollis: (thinking hard for like 15 seconds ... quizzical look) ... Who put them there? Squirrels??

True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment